Minicab Driver In London
Driving a minicab in London requires a lot of responsibility to safely help people go from one location to another. It also needs good knowledge about the locations and a sense of professionalism.
In London, there are two kinds of cabs –the black cabs and the private cabs. The private minicab drivers generally work for a car hire company and will drive any kind of car from Mercedes to saloon vans. The licensed minicab drivers should have a sticker on the rear window and the windshield of the car denoting the duration of their license which is issued by the Public Carriage Office (PCO).
Getting a Private Hire Driver’s License
For minicab drivers, they need to get a Private Hire Driver’s License to be eligible to drive a minicab in London. The private minicab service providers will only hire drivers who hold this license. The entire process to get the Private Hire Driver’s License takes around 2 to 3 months and this license is valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
To get the Private Hire Driver application, one can either visit the nearest PCO, call them to get the application by post or request one online from the Transport for London website.
- Must be of at least 21 years of age.
- Must hold a driving license for at least three years.
- Disclosure about living abroad in countries other than the UK.
- Should have the right to live and work in the UK.
- Must be of good character; criminal records will be checked from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
- Must be medically fit; should undergo a medical examination and furnish entire medical records.
- Undergo a topographical skills assessment test.
Considering all the expenditure to apply for the Private Hire Driver’s License, including the cost to undergo the topographical skills test, license application, DBS disclosure application and English language assessment (if applicable), the total cost comes to around £600. This cost doesn’t include the medical examination and fitness certificate.
- If you are a local person from London, then passing the topographical skills assessment test wouldn’t be that big an issue. But in case if you are new in London or have only started living for a few years, then the ability to read the map and note down the places and drive people easily using the guidance from maps and online applications can help.
- In case the drivers need to make some modifications in the vehicle to enable easy driving, then they need to inform the licensing office before they make such changes to the vehicle. Every change in the vehicle has to be made under the recommendation and approval of a medical professional and a driver assessor.
When the driver has passed the tests and obtained the license, they can join any private car hire company.
Are you looking for a private cab hire services with experienced and professional minicab drivers? Contact A1 Cars for your next airport transfer in Putney, Gatwick Airport transfer or for any other transport requirements in London.